1 portrait of Barbara Hepworth
If the sitter is a painter or sculptor: ""© The Lewinski Archive at Chatsworth / Bridgeman Images""; in all other cases: ""© Estate of Jorge Lewinski"".
by J.S. Lewinski
bromide print on card mount, 1969
12 in. x 14 7/8 in. (305 mm x 377 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Dame Barbara Hepworth (1903-1975), Sculptor; second wife of Ben Nicholson. Sitter in 28 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
Artistback to top
- Jorge ('J.S.') Lewinski (1921-2008), Photographer. Artist of 103 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Events of 1969back to top
Current affairsThe Open University is established, based on the vision of Michael Young. Its aims were to offer the chance to study for higher education qualifications on a part time and distance learning basis, giving people who were unable to attend a traditional university because of family, work commitments or disability the opportunity to achieve university degrees.
Art and scienceThe comedy sketch show Monty Python's Flying Circus is first broadcast. The Pythons performed surreal sketches that reinvented the comedy tradition, eschewing punch lines for a stream-of-consciousness structure and incongruous authorial interventions: 'and now for something completely different'.
Kenneth Tynan's Oh! Calcutta amuses and shocks audiences with full nudity on stage, taking advantage of the recent end to censorship laws.
InternationalNeil Armstrong takes 'one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind' when he becomes the first man on the moon.
Concorde makes its first supersonic flight. The plane was designed, developed and manufactured by a joint treaty between the French and English governments.
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists
- John Hedgecoe: Portraits
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - Barbara Hepworth <> Sir Michael Tippett
- Only Connect - Barbara Hepworth <> Priaulx Rainier
- Only Connect - Barbara Hepworth <> T.S. Eliot
- Only Connect - installation video
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Photographs 1965-2006
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographer in Focus: Mayotte Magnus
- Portrait of the Day: Barbara Hepworth
31 December, 12:30
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer