by and published by Charles Turner, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
mezzotint, published 25 July 1831
14 in. x 10 in. (355 mm x 253 mm) plate size; 16 7/8 in. x 12 1/8 in. (429 mm x 307 mm) paper size
Given by Mr F.W.B. Maufe and Mrs G.B. Lane, 1950
Sitterback to top
- Prince Hoare (1755-1834), Painter and dramatist; son of William Hoare. Sitter in 8 portraits, Artist associated with 9 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (50 Warren Street, Fitzroy Square, London)
Events of 1831back to top
Current affairsParliamentary Reform Bill is rejected by the House of Lords prompting riots in Nottingham, Derby and Bristol.
Art and scienceMichael Faraday demonstrates electromagnetic induction.
Death of Lady Sarah Ponsonby, last of the famous Ladies of Llangollen who attracted many of the leading names in art and literature to visit them at their home in Plas Newydd, Wales.
Opening of New London Bridge, designed by John Rennie.
InternationalViolinist Niccolo Paganini arrives in England from Italy and embarks on a six month tour of the country after astonishing London audiences with his virtuoso performances.
Revolutionary outbreaks in Modena, Parma and the Papal States influenced by the July Revolution in France the previous year.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Regency familiar faces
- 2. Lawrence at work
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Sir Henry Charles Englefield
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Icons and Identities: Shakespeare to Winehouse
Until 17 July
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.