by John Faber Jr, published by Thomas Bowles Jr, published by John Bowles, published by Carington Bowles, after Gabriel Mathias
mezzotint, probably circa 1753-1756 (circa 1736-1756)
14 in. x 9 7/8 in. (356 mm x 252 mm) plate size; 153 3/8 in. x 10 3/4 in. (3897 mm x 274 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Sitterback to top
- Mary Howard (1653-1735), Abbess of the English nuns at Antwerp. Sitter in 2 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Carington Bowles (1724-1793), Printseller. Artist associated with 100 portraits.
- John Bowles (1701?-1779), Printseller and publisher. Artist associated with 116 portraits.
- Thomas Bowles Jr (1689 or 1690?-1767), Printseller and publisher. Artist associated with 36 portraits.
- John Faber Jr (circa 1695-1756), Engraver and portrait and miniature painter. Artist associated with 816 portraits.
- Gabriel Mathias (1719-1804). Artist associated with 8 portraits.
Placesback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1753back to top
Current affairsAfter a month's absence, servant Elizabeth Canning returns to her mother's house claiming that she was abducted. The following trial causes uproar and becomes one of the most famous criminal mysteries of the century.
Hardwicke's Marriage Act (named after its champion Philip Yorke, 1st Earl of Hardwicke) is passed, aimed at preventing clandestine marriages.
Art and scienceArtist Joshua Reynolds establishes his portrait practice in London.
Swiss painter and pastellist Jean-Etienne Liotard arrives in London where he enjoys great success until his departure in 1756.
InternationalGeorge Washington undertakes a difficult and ineffectual journey to persuade the French to withdraw from the Ohio valley.
First steam engine arrives in the American colonies.
First official celebration of St Patrick's Day on 17 March, organised by the Charitable Irish Society in Boston.
Britain, Austria and Modena sign a secret military treaty.
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.