8 of 10 portraits of Leigh Hunt
by Unknown artist
lithograph, mid 19th century
11 5/8 in. x 8 1/2 in. (294 mm x 215 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Sitterback to top
- James Henry Leigh Hunt (1784-1859), Poet, essayist and critic. Sitter associated with 11 portraits.
Events of 1830back to top
Current affairsGeorge IV dies at Windsor on 26 June; William IV succeeds to the throne.
Duke of Wellington resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Earl Grey.
'Captain Swing' disturbances among agricultural districts in southern England. Taking their name from a mythical leader, hundreds of labourers break the threshing machines that threaten their winter employment.
Art and scienceLiverpool and Manchester Railway opens; MP William Huskisson is run down by a train and killed at the inaugural ceremony.
William Cobbett publishes Rural Rides; a nostalgic tribute to the English countryside which expresses dismay at the sweeping changes taking place.
InternationalJuly Revolution in France overthrows the Bourbon dynasty. Charles X goes into exile in England and Louis Philippe, Duc d'Orleans is proclaimed King by the Chamber of Deputies who fear European opposition to the declaration of a second Republic.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Peterloo 1819: Democracy, Protest and Justice
From 26 July
- 'This sceptred isle': Shakespeare and the Plantagenets
Until 31 May 2020
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Only Connect - Leigh Hunt <> Niccolo Paganini
- Only Connect - Leigh Hunt <> Madame Vestris
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Portrait of the Day: Richard III
26 July, 12:30
- Portrait of the Day: Henry VIII & Katherine of Aragon
25 July, 12:30