9 of 86 portraits of Harriet Cohen
© 2018 E.O. Hoppé Estate Collection / Curatorial Assistance Inc.
by E.O. Hoppé
vintage bromide print, 24 July 1920
7 1/4 in. x 4 7/8 in. (185 mm x 123 mm)
Given by the sitter's sister, Myra Verney, 1992
Artistback to top
- Emil Otto ('E.O.') Hoppé (1878-1972), Photographer and writer. Artist associated with 188 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
Events of 1920back to top
Current affairsThe Government of Ireland Act (Fourth Home Rule Bill) partitions Ireland into the Irish Free State with a devolved parliament in Dublin and Northern Ireland with a devolved parliament in Belfast.
The Communist Party of Great Britain is founded in London, uniting a number of independent socialist and Marxist parties into a single, united party.
Art and scienceQueen Alexandra unveils a monument to Edith Cavell in St Martin's Place opposite the National Portrait Gallery. The English nurse was executed in Germany for helping hundreds of allied soldiers to cross the border from occupied Belgium to the neutral Netherlands.
George V officially opens the Imperial War Museum at the Crystal Palace.
InternationalThe Kapp Putsch threatens the newly formed Weimar Republic. In defiance of the Treaty of Versailles, the leaders of the Marinebrigade Ehrhardt refused to disband and marched on Berlin, occupying it on the 13th March. With the general army refusing to defend the city, the government fled to Stuttgart. The rebellion, however, failed after the workers joined a general strike, disabling their plans.
- 2017 Anniversaries
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Only Connect - Harriet Cohen <> Frederick Delius
- Only Connect - Harriet Cohen <> Rebecca West
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Thomas Hardy
- Classical Music and the First World War