William Hyde Wollaston
8 of 8 portraits of William Hyde Wollaston
William Hyde Wollaston
by Frederick Christian Lewis Sr, published by Walter Benjamin Tiffin, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
chalk manner engraving, published 21 June 1830
14 7/8 in. x 11 1/2 in. (378 mm x 293 mm) plate size; 20 3/4 in. x 14 5/8 in. (528 mm x 372 mm) paper size
Sitterback to top
- William Hyde Wollaston (1766-1828), Physiologist, chemist and physicist. Sitter in 8 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 689 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
- Frederick Christian Lewis Sr (1779-1856), Engraver and landscape painter. Artist associated with 192 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Walter Benjamin Tiffin (1795-1877), Publisher. Artist associated with 8 portraits.
Events of 1830back to top
Current affairsGeorge IV dies at Windsor on 26 June; William IV succeeds to the throne.
Duke of Wellington resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Earl Grey.
'Captain Swing' disturbances among agricultural districts in southern England. Taking their name from a mythical leader, hundreds of labourers break the threshing machines that threaten their winter employment.
Art and scienceLiverpool and Manchester Railway opens; MP William Huskisson is run down by a train and killed at the inaugural ceremony.
William Cobbett publishes Rural Rides; a nostalgic tribute to the English countryside which expresses dismay at the sweeping changes taking place.
InternationalJuly Revolution in France overthrows the Bourbon dynasty. Charles X goes into exile in England and Louis Philippe, Duc d'Orleans is proclaimed King by the Chamber of Deputies who fear European opposition to the declaration of a second Republic.
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Regency familiar faces
- 2. Lawrence at work
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.