John Philip Kemble
John Philip Kemble
by William Say, published by William Sams, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
mezzotint, published 1 February 1826
19 3/4 in. x 13 7/8 in. (502 mm x 352 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Artistsback to top
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 689 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
- William Sams (circa 1793-1842), Bookseller and publisher. Artist associated with 38 portraits.
- William Say (1768-1834), Mezzotint engraver. Artist associated with 260 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (1 St James's Street, opposite the Palace, London)
Events of 1826back to top
Current affairsRiots break out in Lancashire against the use of the power loom, invented by Edmund Cartwright. The looms were gradually being introduced across the country, replacing large numbers of manual workers.
Art and scienceThomas Telford's Menai Straits and Conway Suspension Bridges open, the largest of their kind at the time.
InternationalCarl Weber arrives to live in England after his opera Der Freischutz is the hit of the London season.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Regency familiar faces
- 2. Lawrence at work
- Adopt a Portrait
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.