7 of 20 portraits by Joseph Allen
by William Ward, published by Vittore Zanetti, after Joseph Allen
mezzotint, circa 1801
17 7/8 in. x 13 7/8 in. (455 mm x 352 mm) plate size; 21 5/8 in. x 16 1/8 in. (549 mm x 409 mm) paper size
Given by Messrs Thomas Agnew, 1932
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Wilson (1747-1818), Master of Clitheroe Grammar School. Sitter in 1 portrait.
Artistsback to top
- Joseph Allen (1769-1839), Painter. Artist associated with 20 portraits.
- William Ward (1766-1826), Engraver; father of William James Ward. Artist associated with 167 portraits.
- Vittore Zanetti (circa 1746-1855), Picture dealer, printseller, picture frame maker and publisher. Artist associated with 1 portrait.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, Greater Manchester (Repository of Arts, Manchester)
Events of 1801back to top
Current affairsWlliam Pitt and Lord Castlereagh both resign over the King's refusal to permit the introduction of Catholic emancipation. Henry Addington, 1st Viscount Sidmouth succeeds Pitt as Prime Minister.
Census records 9 million people living in England and Wales, 5.2 million in Ireland and 1.6 million in Scotland.
Art and scienceRadical writer, Amelia Opie publishes her best known novel The Father and the Daughter. Said to have reduced Walter Scott to tears, it went on to enjoy success as an opera and a play.
InternationalOther members of the First Coalition fighting France with Britain agree to a humiliating peace treaty and Britain fights on alone.
A successful campaign is fought against the French army marooned in Egypt. General Sir Ralph Abercromby leads the troops but is killed in action.
Thomas Jefferson is elected President of the United States.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints