6 of 36 portraits by Thomas Bowles Jr
by John Faber Jr, published by Thomas Bowles Jr, published by John Bowles, published by Carington Bowles, after Hamlet Winstanley
14 in. x 9 7/8 in. (357 mm x 251 mm) plate size; 15 1/2 in. x 11 1/8 in. (395 mm x 283 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1963
Sitterback to top
- Catherine Winstanley (1700-1763), Wife of Hamlet Winstanley. Sitter associated with 2 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Carington Bowles (1724-1793), Printseller. Artist associated with 100 portraits.
- John Bowles (1701?-1779), Printseller and publisher. Artist associated with 116 portraits.
- Thomas Bowles Jr (1689 or 1690?-1767), Printseller and publisher. Artist associated with 36 portraits.
- John Faber Jr (circa 1695-1756), Engraver and portrait and miniature painter. Artist associated with 816 portraits.
- Hamlet Winstanley (1700-1761), Painter and engraver. Artist associated with 17 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
Placesback to top
Events of 1720back to top
Current affairsCollapse of the South Sea Company's shares causes financial crisis in London and ruins many investors. Their rapid inflation and the speculation mania it had encouraged become known as the South Sea Bubble. Charles Townshend, 2nd Viscount Townshend returns to the Whig ministry. Robert Walpole 1st Earl of Orford, who had resigned in 1717, also returns and restores public credit in December.
Art and scienceEntrepreneur Ralph Allen is appointed to take over the Cross and Bye Posts, which manage mail not going via London, leading to his eventual reform of the entire British postal system.
History painter James Thornhill is appointed Serjeant Painter to the King and becomes the first British artist to receive a knighthood.
InternationalTreaty of the Hague signed between Britain, France, Austria, the Dutch Republic and Spain ending the War of the Quadruple Alliance.
In Lhasa, the Dalai Lama accepts Chinese imperial protection, which lasts until 1911.
Two political parties emerge in Sweden's parliament and become known as the Hats and the Caps.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints