1 portrait of Angus McBean
© estate of Angus McBean / National Portrait Gallery, London
by Angus McBean
bromide print photomontage, 1950
6 1/4 in. x 4 5/8 in. (158 mm x 117 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Angus McBean (1904-1990), Photographer. Sitter in 79 portraits, Artist associated with 268 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Angus McBean (1904-1990), Photographer. Artist associated with 268 portraits, Sitter in 79 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Pepper, Terence, Angus McBean Portraits, 2006 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 July to 22 October 2006), p. 122
Events of 1950back to top
Current affairsPrincess Anne is born at Clarence house, the only daughter of Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip.
Art and scienceC.S. Lewis publishes The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia series. Lewis was an Oxford Don, specialising in Medieval Literature and its use of allegory. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is often seen as an allegory of the Christian struggle between good and evil.
InternationalFollowing the Soviet and American withdrawal from the occupation of North and South Korea respectively, the Korean War breaks out as each side seeks to unify Korea under its own political system. While the U.S.A., U.K and other UN nations came to the defence of South Korea, North Korea had support from the Soviet Union and China. The war continued until 1953.
Exhibitions and displays
- Photography: A Public Art, 1840 - 1939
Until 7 October
- The World's Most Photographed
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Portraits of Alec Guinness
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Faces of Wales