The Howard Sisters
The Howard Sisters
by Richard James Lane, printed by Engelmann & Co, published by Joseph Dickinson, after John Jackson
lithograph, published 1829
16 3/4 in. x 11 1/8 in. (426 mm x 282 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Sittersback to top
- Georgiana Agar-Ellis (née Howard), Baroness Dover (1804-1880), Wife of 1st Baron Dover. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Lady Caroline Georgiana Lascelles (née Howard) (1803-1881), Wife of William Saunders Lascelles; daughter of 6th Earl of Carlisle. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Harriet Elizabeth Georgiana Leveson-Gower (née Howard), Duchess of Sutherland (1806-1868), Courtier; Mistress of the robes to Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 10 portraits. Identify
Artistsback to top
- Joseph Dickinson (1780-1849), Stationer and lithographic publisher. Artist associated with 83 portraits.
- Engelmann & Co (active 1828-1829), Publishers. Artist associated with 12 portraits.
- John Jackson (1778-1831), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 231 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Richard James Lane (1800-1872), Sculptor and lithographer. Artist associated with 1225 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
Events of 1829back to top
Current affairsMetropolitan police force of over three thousand paid, uniformed, professional policemen founded by Home Secretary Sir Robert Peel.
Roman Catholic Relief Act grants emancipation; Catholics admitted to vote, sit in parliament and hold almost all public offices.
Art and scienceSuccess of George Stephenson's Rocket steam engine at Rainhill Trials.
First London bus service licensed; the new 'box-on-wheels' contributes greatly to the expansion of the suburbs.
Apsley House completed for the Duke of Wellington by Benjamin Wyatt.
First Oxford and Cambridge boat race.
InternationalAndrew Jackson is elected President of the United States.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints