Charles James Fox
1 of 14 portraits by William Austin
Charles James Fox
by and published by John Jones, and published by William Austin, after Sir Joshua Reynolds
mezzotint, published 1 November 1784
20 1/8 in. x 15 3/8 in. (512 mm x 389 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1949
Sitterback to top
- Charles James Fox (1749-1806), Whig statesman. Sitter associated with 308 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- William Austin (1721-1820), Drawing master and engraver. Artist associated with 14 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- John Jones (circa 1745-1797), Engraver and printseller. Artist associated with 91 portraits.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 1415 portraits, Sitter associated with 39 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (63 Great Portland Street, Marylebone, London; Knightsbridge, London)
Events of 1784back to top
Current affairsTheatre proprietor and postal reformer John Palmer runs the first mail coach in England, between Bristol and London. A three day journey is now completed in 16 hours.
Commutation Act reduces punitive duties on tea to combat smuggling.
Art and scienceAeronaut James Sadler makes the first hot air balloon flight in Britain, from Oxford to Woodeaton.
Chemist Henry Cavendish's paper Experiments on Air reveals the composition of water.
Writer Samuel Johnson dies.
Joshua Reynolds succeeds Allan Ramsay as Painter to the King.
InternationalThomas Jefferson's Land Ordinance passed by the United States' Continental Congress, coming into effect the following year. It allows for the sale of land in the largely unmapped west of the country.
Britain receives its first bales of cotton from the United States since before the War of American Independence.
William Pitt's India Act creates a Board of Control to oversee the affairs of the British East India Company and centralise power.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints