by James Godby, published by T. Cadell & W. Davies, after Robert Edge Pine, after William Evans
stipple engraving, published 1 March 1809 (circa 1777)
16 1/8 in. x 12 1/4 in. (408 mm x 311 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sitterback to top
- Robert Lowth (1710-1787), Biblical critic and Bishop of London. Sitter in 4 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- T. Cadell & W. Davies (active 1795-1817), Publishers. Artist associated with 236 portraits.
- William Evans (active 1797-1856), Draughtsman and engraver. Artist associated with 103 portraits.
- James Godby (active 1790-1815), Printmaker. Artist associated with 44 portraits.
- Robert Edge Pine (1730-1788), Painter. Artist associated with 73 portraits.
Events of 1809back to top
Current affairsDuke of Portland resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Spencer Perceval.
Motion for parliamentary reform is defeated in the House of Commons.
Notorious duel between George Canning and Viscount Castlereagh over strategic failures against Napoleon.
Art and scienceMaria Edgeworth publishes Tales of Fashionable Life, a popular and perceptive series of stories exploring Anglo-Irish society after the Union.
Robert Smirke completes the New Covent Garden Theatre after fire. 'Old Price' theatre riots quickly break out against rising cost of admission.
Pall Mall in London is lit by gas for the first time.
InternationalBritish army lands in Lisbon and defeats the French at Talavera. Arthur Wellesley is created Viscount Wellington as a result of this victory.
Walcheren expedition led by General Chatham, which aimed to take Antwerp, fails amidst allegations of military corruption and carnage.
James Madison is elected President of the United States.
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.