8 of 12 portraits by Simon de Koster
by Anthony Cardon, and by John Girtin, published by Rudolph Ackermann, after Thomas Uwins, after Simon de Koster
line and stipple engraving, published 24 December 1805
22 3/4 in. x 14 7/8 in. (578 mm x 379 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1958
Sitterback to top
- Horatio Nelson, Viscount Nelson (1758-1805), Vice-Admiral and victor of Trafalgar. Sitter in 85 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Rudolph Ackermann (1764-1834), Publisher. Artist associated with 94 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Anthony Cardon (1772-1813), Engraver and print publisher. Artist associated with 68 portraits.
- John Girtin (circa 1780-after 1820), Engraver and printer; brother of Thomas Girtin. Artist associated with 9 portraits.
- Simon de Koster (1767-1831), Painter. Artist associated with 12 portraits.
- Thomas Uwins (1782-1857), Painter. Artist associated with 20 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1805back to top
Current affairsNelson's state funeral is held at St Paul's. An occasion for an outpouring of national grief and patriotism, the grand ceremony built on the cult of Nelson which had emerged in the years before his death.
Art and scienceMary Tighe publishes Pysche or the Legend of Love, a romantic allegory in the fashionable medieval revival style, admired by both Keats and Shelley.
The 'poems of Ossian' are officially declared a fake and a great literary scandal ends as Scottish poet James Macpherson is exposed as the forger of the third century bard's epic works.
InternationalBattle of Trafalgar. Napoleon's ultimate plan to invade England from Boulogne with 100,000 men is thwarted by superior British naval power. Nelson dies in the closing moments of battle having been wounded by a French sniper, but survives long enough to learn that a decisive victory has been won.
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- My Favourite Portrait by Alan Titchmarsh
- Viscount Nelson
- WebQuest: Pepys, Nelson, Seacole
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Joseph Haydn
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> William Hamilton
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Emma Hamilton
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Richard Cosway
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Plaster figure makers: a short history