© reserved; collection National Portrait Gallery, London
by Julieta Preston (Julie Green)
vintage bromide print, 1962
9 1/4 in. x 7 3/4 in. (236 mm x 196 mm) overall
Sitterback to top
- Ida Kar (1908-1974), Photographer. Sitter in 136 portraits, Artist associated with 1544 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Julieta Preston (Julie Green) (1943-2018), Assistant to Ida Kar. Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1962back to top
Current affairsAfter a series of by-election defeats, the prime minister, Harold MacMillan organises a drastic cabinet reshuffle, dismissing one third of his cabinet. Liberal MP Jeremy Thorpe's rye comment summed up the desperate action: 'greater love hath no man than this, than to lay down his friends for his life.'
Britain suffers the 'Big Freeze' with no frost-free nights between 22nd December 1962 and 5th March 1963.
Art and scienceThe Beatles have their first hit with Love Me Do and release their first album Please Please Me.
The new Coventry Cathedral is consecrated and creates a showcase for British artistic talent with the first performance of Benjamin Britten's War Requiem, a wall hanging by Graham Sutherland, stained glass by John Piper, and sculptures by Jacob Epstein and Elizabeth Frink.
InternationalThe world comes to the brink of nuclear war with the Cuban Missile Crisis. In response to the USA's nuclear advantage, the USSR sent missiles to Cuba. The crisis lasted for 12 days before a deal was finally stuck between Khrushchev and Kennedy in which the Cuban missile bases were dismantled in return for the secret removal of US missiles from Turkey.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Picturing Friendship
Until 6 May
- Private View
- Artists in Close-Up
- Learn more
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Ida Kar: Bohemian Photographer, 1908-1974
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Benjamin's Britain
- Ida Kar in Cuba
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists
- Photographs 1965-2006