12 of 36 portraits of Victor Musgrave
by Ida Kar
vintage bromide print, late 1940s
10 in. x 8 1/8 in. (253 mm x 205 mm) image size
Sitterback to top
- Victor Musgrave (1919-1984), Art dealer and collector; founder of Gallery One. Sitter in 36 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
Artistback to top
- Ida Kar (1908-1974), Photographer. Artist associated with 1564 portraits, Sitter in 137 portraits.
Events of 1947back to top
Current affairsPrincess Elizabeth marries Philip Mountbatten at Westminster Abbey. Philip renounced his title of Prince of Greece and Denmark, to become Duke of Edinburgh when he married the heir to the throne.
Art and scienceThe first Edinburgh Festival includes performances by Kathleen Ferrier, Alec Guinness and Margot Fonteyn. The Festival is now a major annual international arts event that takes place over three weeks every August, and includes top class performers in theatre, music and dance as well as lesser-known performers who take part in the parallel 'Fringe Festival'.
InternationalIndia is granted independence from the British Empire and the former British Raj is partitioned into India and Pakistan. After various revolts and several years of civil disobedience led by Gandhi and his Quit India Movement, Britain agrees to disband the Raj and grant independence to India.
Palestine is partitioned into a Jewish State, an Arab State and a small internationally administered zone.
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists
- Private View
- Benjamin's Britain
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Artists in Close-Up
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- Ida Kar: Bohemian Photographer, 1908-1974
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
- Ida Kar in Cuba
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed
- Photographs 1965-2006