Shakespeare & Company
by Mark Seliger
C-type colour print, 2006
18 3/4 in. x 28 in. (475 mm x 710 mm) image size
Given by Mark Seliger, 2009
- Fahrid Murray Abraham (1939-), Actor. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Morven Christie (1979-), Actress. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Dame Judith Olivia ('Judi') Dench (1934-), Actress. Sitter in 13 portraits.
- Rupert Evans (1977-), Actor. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- William Houston (1968-), Actor. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Chukwudi Iwuji (1975-), Actor. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Claire Lautier (1969-), Actress. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Sir Ian Murray McKellen (1939-), Actor. Sitter in 19 portraits.
- Patrick Stewart (1832-1865), Soldier. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Greg Vinkler, Actor. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Dame Harriet Mary Walter (1950-), Actress. Sitter in 2 portraits.
The Loans for Peerages affair erupts after four businessmen who gave unpublished loans to the Labour Party are nominated for peerages. The scandal revealed a legal loophole: while political parties must declare all large donations, they were not required to declare loans. This led the Police to investigate whether the parties had broken the 1925 Honours (Prevention of Abuses) Act, and to Lord Levy and Tony Blair.
Art and science
A year of blockbuster exhibitions including Modernism
at the Victoria and Albert Museum, a Surrealism exhibition at the Haywood Gallery, Michaelangelo Drawings
at the British Museum
at the National Gallery, Rodin
at the Royal Academy, Holbein
at Tate Britain, and David Hockney Portraits
at the National Portrait Gallery.
Following the kidnapping of two Israeli Soldiers by Lebanese Hezbollah militants, Israel launches a heavy artillery attack and ground invasion on Lebanon. In response Hezbollah launched rockets into northern Israel and engaged the Israeli Defence Forces in guerrilla warfare. The conflict ended after claiming over 1500 lives - mostly Lebanese civilians - with a UN resolution calling for Hezbollah's disarmament and Israel's withdrawal of troops from Lebanon.