by and sold by John Faber Jr, sold by Thomas Bowles Jr, sold by John Bowles, after John Ellys
13 7/8 in. x 9 3/4 in. (352 mm x 249 mm) plate size; 14 1/4 in. x 10 1/4 in. (363 mm x 259 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Sitterback to top
- Henry Medley (1687-1747), Vice-admiral and Commodore Governor of Newfoundland. Sitter in 3 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- John Bowles (1701?-1779), Printseller and publisher. Artist associated with 116 portraits.
- Thomas Bowles Jr (1689 or 1690?-1767), Printseller and publisher. Artist associated with 36 portraits.
- John Ellys (1701-1757), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 26 portraits.
- John Faber Jr (circa 1695-1756), Engraver and portrait and miniature painter. Artist associated with 816 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Placesback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1745back to top
Current affairsSecond Jacobite Rebellion: the Young Pretender, Charles Edward Stuart ('Bonnie Prince Charlie') lands in Scotland and proclaims his father king. Jacobite forces take Edinburgh and march into England as far as Derby but are forced to turn back due to lack of support.
The song later to become the British national anthem, God Save the King, is first performed at the Drury Lane Theatre in London in a setting by Thomas Arne.
Art and scienceWilliam Hogarth completes the six paintings of Marriage-à-la-Mode, his satirical take on upper-class eighteenth-century society.
West towers of Westminster Abbey are completed
Satirical writer Jonathan Swift dies.
InternationalWar of the Austrian Succession: the French army defeat Austrian, Dutch and British forces under the Duke of Cumberland at the Battle of Fontenoy.
Madame de Pompadour becomes mistress to Louis XV of France.
Principle of the Leyden jar is discovered by German physicist, Ewald Georg von Kleist.
Artist Giovanni Batista Piranesi publishes the first of his Vedute (Views); a celebrated series of etchings of Rome.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints