John Stuart Mill
1 portrait of John Stuart Mill
John Stuart Mill
by Paul Adolphe Rajon, after George Frederic Watts
12 7/8 in. x 9 7/8 in. (328 mm x 252 mm) plate size; 16 3/8 in. x 13 1/4 in. (417 mm x 335 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1971
Sitterback to top
- John Stuart Mill (1806-1873), Social philosopher, economist and advocate of women's rights. Sitter in 20 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1873back to top
Current affairsThe public entertainment centre Alexandra Palace, designed by architect Owen Jones (associated with the Crystal Palace) and built between Wood Green and Muswell Hill in North London, burns down within sixteen days of opening. Named after Alexandra of Denmark, married to Prince Edward, the Prince of Wales, the palace was quickly rebuilt, and has since been used as a transmission centre for the BBC, and as a musical entertainment venue.
Art and scienceEdith Coleridge edits her late mother Sara Coleridge's Memoir and Letters. Sara, the daughter of the poet and philosopher Samuel Taylor Coleridge, was an author, translator and editor of her father's works.
InternationalInspired by prospectors' demands for better quality trousers during the 1850s Gold Rush, Levi Strauss develops a trouser made with twilled cotton cloth from France called 'serge de Nimes', later known as denim. This year, he patents the process of putting rivets in the trousers for strength, introducing 'blue jeans' to the world.
- G.F Watts - Selected Letters
- WebQuest: Votes For Women
- G.F. Watts Portraits: Fame & Beauty in Victorian Society
- Collected Archives - T-Z
- The Watts Collection
- Watts handlist
- Room 26: Portraits by G.F. Watts
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Room 26: G.F. Watts Bicentenary
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- Julia Margaret Cameron:
'Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens'
- Portrait of the Day: Julie Margaret Cameron
15 December, 12:30
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer