possibly by Lynn Chadwick
2 1/4 inch square film negative, 1954
Sitterback to top
- Ida Kar (1908-1974), Photographer. Sitter in 136 portraits, Artist associated with 1544 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Lynn Russell Chadwick (1914-2003), Sculptor. Artist associated with 1 portrait, Sitter in 17 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Gloucestershire (Lynn Chadwick's home, Lypiatt Park, Gloucestershire)
Events of 1954back to top
Current affairsRoger Bannister runs the four-minute mile. Bannister was the first man to achieve the 'miracle mile', a feat that was thought by some to be impossible, beating his rival, the Australian John Landy, to the record. Bannister went on to a career as a distinguished neurologist.
Food rationing ends in Britain.
Art and scienceJ.R.R. Tolkien publishes the first two parts of the Lord of the Rings trilogy: The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers. Tolkien was an Oxford professor of Anglo-Saxon language and literature and drew on his scholarly interests in history, language and mythology to create the fictional land of Middle Earth where the books are set.
Williams Golding publishes, Lord of the Flies.
InternationalThe South East Asia Treaty Organisation (SEATO) is established in Bangkok. This international defence organisation was established as part of the 'containment' policy of limiting the influence of communism. SEATO was, however, found to be ineffective as the member organisations failed to agree on combined action; it was disbanded in 1977.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Picturing Friendship
Until 13 May 2019
- Private View
- Artists in Close-Up
- Learn more
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Ida Kar: Bohemian Photographer, 1908-1974
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Benjamin's Britain
- Ida Kar in Cuba
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists
- Photographs 1965-2006