after Unknown artist
mezzotint, circa 1739-1745
13 5/8 in. x 9 7/8 in. (345 mm x 252 mm) plate size; 15 1/4 in. x 10 3/8 in. (388 mm x 265 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Events of 1739back to top
Current affairsFoundling Hospital is established in London by sea-captain Thomas Coram, with William Hogarth as a founding governor.
John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, begins his campaign of outdoor preaching, which he continues until his death in 1791.
'Great Frost': an unusually harsh winter in southern England.
Art and sciencePhilosopher David Hume anonymously publishes his Treatise of Human Nature, in which he applies the principles of experimental science to the human mind.
InternationalWar of Jenkin's Ear: Convention of Pardo is held to settle differences with Spain, but Prime Minister Robert Walpole is forced to declare hostilities. At the Battle of Porto Bello, British forces under Admiral Edward Vernon capture the Panamanian town of Porto Bello from the Spanish.
Persian ruler Nadir Shah enters Delhi and removes much of the accumulated treasure of the Mughal empire.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.