11 of 34 portraits of Laura Knight
by Unknown photographer
bromide print, 1936
6 7/8 in. x 9 1/8 in. (176 mm x 231 mm) image size
Given by Terence Pepper, 2010
Sitterback to top
- Dame Laura Knight (1877-1970), Artist. Sitter in 34 portraits, Artist associated with 3 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Broadley, Rosie, Laura Knight Portraits, 2013 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from National Portrait Gallery, 11 July - 13 October 2013; The Laing, Newcastle, 2 November 2013 - 16 February 2014; Plymouth Art Gallery, 2 November - 1 March - 10 May 2014.), p. Front flap
Events of 1936back to top
Current affairsFollowing the death of his father George V, Edward succeeds to the throne as King Edward VIII, but chooses to abdicate in order to marry the American divorcee, Wallis Simpson. Edward was the only monarch every to voluntarily relinquish the throne.
Art and scienceThe Spitfire, designed by Reginald Mitchell, has its maiden flight. The RAF and other allied forces used the plane extensively and to great effect during the Second World War.
Television broadcasting begins. Although the BBC had been transmitting television since 1930, regular service did not begin until 1936, when the 'BBC Television Service' (now BBC One) was broadcast from Alexandra Palace.
InternationalThe Spanish Civil War begins. Nationalists, led by General Francisco Franco, and supported by Italian and German fascist governments, rebelled against the Second Spanish Republic. The conflict lasted until 1939, and anticipated many of the features of the Second World War: fighting between Communists and Fascists, the rise of nationalism and the use of terror tactics against civilians.
- NPG D48190 in 360°
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rebel women
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lillah McCarthy
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Joseph Conrad
- George Augustus Sala
- Lives and Letters
- Portraits of John Nash
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints