1 portrait of James Northcote
by Frederick Christian Lewis Sr, published by Hurst, Robinson & Co, after George Henry Harlow
stipple engraving, published 1 June 1824 (circa 1817)
10 3/8 in. x 8 1/4 in. (265 mm x 208 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Sitterback to top
- James Northcote (1746-1831), Painter; pupil and biographer of Sir Joshua Reynolds. Sitter associated with 23 portraits, Artist associated with 103 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- George Henry Harlow (1787-1819), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 80 portraits, Sitter associated with 3 portraits.
- Hurst, Robinson & Co (active 1824-1825), Publishers. Artist associated with 21 portraits.
- Frederick Christian Lewis Sr (1779-1856), Engraver and landscape painter. Artist associated with 192 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Related worksback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1824back to top
Current affairsAnti-Trade Union Combination Acts of 1799 and 1800 are repealed after persuasive arguments from radical Francis Place that prohibition of workers' combinations only increased their appeal. The unions had been banned for fear that they were becoming involved in democratic politics.
Art and scienceNational Gallery is established when Parliament agrees to purchase a collection of thirty-eight paintings from the estate of philanthropist John Julius Angerstein. William Seguier is appointed first Keeper.
Society of British Artists holds its first exhibition, aiming to appeal to a broader art public than those who visited the Royal Academy.
InternationalLord Byron dies of a fever at Missolonghi while fighting in the Greek War of Independence.
Britain declares war on Burma after threat of Indian invasion.
Singapore is ceded to Britain.
John Constable's Haywain receives Gold Medal at the Paris Salon.
- COMING HOME: Ira Frederick Aldridge
Until 1 March
The Holburne Museum, Bath