King George IV
55 of 268 portraits of King George IV
King George IV
by Francis Haward, after Sir Joshua Reynolds
stipple engraving, published 1793 (1783)
18 7/8 in. x 20 1/8 in. (480 mm x 512 mm) paper size
Sitterback to top
- King George IV (1762-1830), Regent 1811-19; Reigned 1820-30. Sitter associated with 273 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1793back to top
Current affairsWhig MP Charles Grey enters a motion for parliamentary reform but is defeated in the House of Commons.
Art and scienceRadical philosopher William Godwin publishes Political Justice, an inflamatory document that promoted rational anarchism. This crystallised a wider feeling that a new era of world peace and progress was beginning.
Sir William Beechey is appointed Portrait Painter to her Majesty, Queen Charlotte.
InternationalLouis XVI and Marie-Antoinette are executed and the Reign of Terror begins.
France declares war on Britain, Holland and then Spain. William Pitt addresses the House of Commons and Britain hesitantly joins the first coalition of anti-revolutionary European states to oppose the French threat.
Attack on Corsica in which Captain Horatio Nelson loses an eye.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Party Trail
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Brilliant Women
- Dr Samuel Johnson
- 2017 Anniversaries
- Late Eighteenth Century Prints and Drawings
- Self-Portrait: Renaissance to Contemporary
- 2018 Anniversaries
- 2020 Anniversaries
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints