Sir Thomas More
Sir Thomas More
by Gaspar Sensi, supervised by José de Madrazo y Agudo, printed by Real Establecimiento Litográfico, after Sir Peter Paul Rubens, after Hans Holbein the Younger
lithograph, circa 1830s
24 1/2 in. x 18 7/8 in. (621 mm x 478 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1951
Sitterback to top
- Sir Thomas More (1478-1535), Lord Chancellor; classical scholar; author of 'Utopia'; saint; canonised 1935. Sitter associated with 54 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- José de Madrazo y Agudo (1781-1859), Painter, etcher and lithographer. Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- Hans Holbein the Younger (1497 or 1498-1543), Painter, printmaker and designer; son of Hans Holbein the Elder. Artist associated with 308 portraits, Sitter associated with 25 portraits.
- Real Establecimiento Litográfico (active 1824-1830s), Print publisher and printer. Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- Sir Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Painter. Artist associated with 40 portraits, Sitter associated with 13 portraits.
- Gaspar Sensi (1794-1880), Lithographer and painter. Artist associated with 1 portrait.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1830back to top
Current affairsGeorge IV dies at Windsor on 26 June; William IV succeeds to the throne.
Duke of Wellington resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Earl Grey.
'Captain Swing' disturbances among agricultural districts in southern England. Taking their name from a mythical leader, hundreds of labourers break the threshing machines that threaten their winter employment.
Art and scienceLiverpool and Manchester Railway opens; MP William Huskisson is run down by a train and killed at the inaugural ceremony.
William Cobbett publishes Rural Rides; a nostalgic tribute to the English countryside which expresses dismay at the sweeping changes taking place.
InternationalJuly Revolution in France overthrows the Bourbon dynasty. Charles X goes into exile in England and Louis Philippe, Duc d'Orleans is proclaimed King by the Chamber of Deputies who fear European opposition to the declaration of a second Republic.
- Tudor Miniatures
- Tints, texture and original intent, in four after-Holbein portraits
- Technique and effects of the after-Holbein copyists
- Holbein and his copyists
- The contexts for the production and demand for painted versions and copies in the sixteenth and early seventeenth century
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints