Sir James Outram, 1st Bt
7 of 9 portraits of Sir James Outram, 1st Bt
Sir James Outram, 1st Bt
by Charles Baugniet, printed by M & N Hanhart, published by Ernest Gambart & Co, and published by Paul and Dominic Colnaghi & Co
lithograph, published 15 June 1858
17 3/4 in. x 12 7/8 in. (452 mm x 328 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Artistsback to top
- Charles Baugniet (1814-1886), Lithographer. Artist associated with 108 portraits.
- Paul and Dominic Colnaghi & Co (active 1830-1890), Printsellers and publishers. Artist associated with 91 portraits.
- Ernest Gambart & Co (active 1846-1859), Publishers. Artist associated with 13 portraits.
- M & N Hanhart (active 1839-1882), Lithographic printers. Artist associated with 333 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (25 Berners Street, Oxford Street, London; 8 Rue de Bruxelles, Paris, France; 13 & 14 Pall Mall East, London)
Events of 1858back to top
Current affairsAfter Palmerston's government collapses, the Earl of Derby becomes Prime Minister for second time, again heading a minority government.
The Property qualification for MPs is abolished; one of the demands made by the Chartists, this allowed men who did not own property to stand as parliamentary candidates. Lionel Nathan Rothschild becomes the first Jew to sit in Britain's House of Commons, taking his oath on the Old Testament.
Art and scienceThe pianist Charles Hallé founds a symphony orchestra in Manchester, the Halle; now Britain's oldest professional orchestra. The Hallé symphony rose to prominence in the mid-20th century, under the tenure of conductor John Barbirolli, during which time they made many recordings, including Ralph Vaughan Williams's Symphony No. 8.
InternationalThe British Crown assumes control of India from the East India Company.
The Treaty of Tientsin, ending the Second Opium War, gives European powers new rights to intervene in Chinese affairs
The Fenian Brotherhood is founded by John O'Mahony, an Irish emigrant to the United States, to support Irish republican ambitions.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.