'The Czar and Family'
3 of 7 portraits of Alexei, Tsarevich and Grand Duke of Russia
'The Czar and Family'
published by Rotary Photographic Co Ltd
postcard print, circa 1906
2 7/8 in. x 5 1/8 in. (73 mm x 130 mm) image size
Given by Sir Robert Clermont Witt, 1934
Artistback to top
- Rotary Photographic Co Ltd (active 1897-1916), Photographers. Artist associated with 1422 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Alexandra, Empress of Russia (née Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine) (1872-1918), Consort of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia; daughter of Princess Alice and granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 18 portraits. Identify
- Alexei, Tsarevich and Grand Duke of Russia (1904-1918), Heir apparent; son of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Anastasia, Grand Duchess of Russia (1901-1918), Daughter of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia. Sitter in 8 portraits. Identify
- Maria, Grand Duchess of Russia (1899-1918), Daughter of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia (1868-1918), Reigned 1894-1917. Sitter in 24 portraits. Identify
- Olga, Grand Duchess of Russia (1895-1918), Daughter of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia. Sitter in 12 portraits. Identify
- Tatiana, Grand Duchess of Russia (1897-1918), Daughter of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia. Sitter in 10 portraits. Identify
Events of 1906back to top
Current affairsThe Liberals, led by Henry Campbell-Bannerman under a promise of reform, win a landslide victory in the general election. Electors vote to end two decades dominated by Conservative rule, with disaffection mounting over the conflict in South Africa and party division over education and tariff reform. The LRC continue to grow as a political force, winning 29 seats and changing their name later this year to the Labour Party.
Art and scienceRalph Vaughan Williams edits The English Hymnal, a collection of the best in English-language hymns. Published by the Church of England, it became one of the most popular and influential hymn books in the world.
Antoni Gaudí completes his rebuilding of the Casa Batllo in Barcelona. Known locally as the 'casa dels ossos', or 'House of Bones', the building is striking for its use of curved stonework, oval windows and intricate tracery.
InternationalSan Francisco is devastated by an earthquake, measuring 7.8 on the Richter scale, leading to the greatest loss of life from a natural disaster in Californian history. The impact itself and resulting fire lead to the death of over 3,000 people, and over half of the city's 400,000 population were left homeless. Although still a major city, the earthquake directs trade, industry and population south to Los Angeles.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints