Photograph by Gered Mankowitz © Bowstir Ltd 2018 / mankowitz.com
by Gered Mankowitz
modern print from original negative, 1966
13 7/8 in. x 14 in. (352 mm x 355 mm)
Sittersback to top
- Jeff Beck (1944-), Guitarist; member of The Yardbirds. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Chris Dreja (1945-), Musician; member of The Yardbirds. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Jim McCarty (1943-), Musician; member of The Yardbirds. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- James Patrick ('Jimmy') Page (1944-), Guitarist, songwriter and member of 'The Yardbirds' and 'Led Zeppelin'. Sitter in 8 portraits. Identify
- Keith Relf (1943-1976), Musician; member of The Yardbirds. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
Artistback to top
- Gered Mankowitz (1946-), Photographer. Artist associated with 34 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
Events of 1966back to top
Current affairsThe English football team wins against West Germany at the World Cup Final in Wembley.
144 people, including 116 children, die in the Aberfan disaster when a colliery waste tip slides down a mountain in Wales.
Ian Brady and Myra Hindly are sentence to life imprisonment for the brutal Moors Murders.
Art and scienceTom Stoppard's first play Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are Dead premiers. This absurdist play uses two minor characters from Hamlet to explore the existential themes of free will verses determinism and the futility of language.
Seamus Heany publishes his first volume of poems, Death of a Naturalist.
InternationalThe Cultural Revolution is launched in China in order to bring Chinese culture and society in line with communist ideals. It was also, however, an attempt by Mao Zedong to regain control of the country after the mistakes of the Great Leap Forward.
Archbishop of Canterbury, Arthur Michael Ramsey meets Pope Paul VI, the first official meeting between the Roman Catholic and Anglican Churches for 400 years.
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.