Photographers at Cap D'Antibes
14 of 19 portraits of David Bailey
Photographers at Cap D'Antibes
by John Swannell
archival digital print, 1977
19 5/8 in. x 14 7/8 in. (500 mm x 377 mm) image size
Given by John Swannell, 2010
Artistback to top
- John Swannell (1946-), Photographer. Artist of 128 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- David Bailey (1938-), Photographer and film-maker. Sitter in 19 portraits, Artist of 35 portraits. Identify
- Brian Duffy (1936-2010), Photographer and film producer. Sitter in 4 portraits, Artist of 7 portraits. Identify
- Jacques-Henri Lartigue (1894-1986), French photographer and painter. Sitter in 4 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait. Identify
- Sir Donald ('Don') McCullin (1935-), Photographer. Sitter in 6 portraits, Artist of 18 portraits. Identify
- Helmut Newton (1920-2004), Photographer. Sitter in 2 portraits, Artist of 2 portraits. Identify
- Alice Springs (June Newton) (1923-2021), Photographer and actress. Sitter in 1 portrait, Artist of 6 portraits.
This portraitback to top
In the 1970s and 80s, Olympus cameras were associated with a number of high-profile photographers, whose work the company promoted through the Olympus Gallery in London. Under the directorship of Martin Harrison, the Olympus Gallery held exhibitions by many of the photographers shown here. The group includes Don McCullin, David Bailey, Brian Duffy, Helmut Newton and Jacques-Henri Lartigue.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Now and Then: Photographs by John Swannell (19 April 2011 - 2 January 2012)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1977back to top
Current affairsIn celebration of her 25th year as Queen, Elizabeth II tours the British Isles visiting communities and schools in 36 counties, before touring the commonwealth. Across the country people held street parties to celebrate the occasion; there were 4,000 street parties in London alone.
Art and scienceBritish punk rockers, The Sex Pistols, release the single, God Save The Queen to coincide with the Silvery Jubilee celebrations. The single reached Number 2 in the charts among claims that it was being kept off the top spot for political reasons. The band was arrested for trying to perform the song from a boat on the Thames during the Queen's Royal Progress trip down the river.
InternationalElvis Presley dies of a heart attack aged 42. His body was discovered collapsed on the bathroom floor of his Graceland mansion in Memphis by his fiancée Ginger Alden. Rumours that the star is actually still alive but in hiding continue to perpetuate among diehard fans.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints