2 of 2 portraits by Robinson, Son & Holdsworth
by William Holl Sr, published by Robinson, Son & Holdsworth, published by J. Hurst, after Unknown artist
stipple engraving, published 1 March 1816
14 7/8 in. x 11 in. (379 mm x 278 mm) plate size; 19 1/4 in. x 13 3/4 in. (490 mm x 350 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Artistsback to top
- William Holl Sr (1771-1838), Engraver. Artist associated with 127 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- J. Hurst (active 1816), Publisher. Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Robinson, Son & Holdsworth (active 1814-1816), Publishers. Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Unknown artist, Artist. Artist associated with 6557 portraits.
Placesback to top
Events of 1816back to top
Current affairsMarriage of Princess Charlotte to Leopold I.
Income Tax abolished.
Unsuccessful Spa Fields Riot led by the ultra-radical Arthur Thistlewood which aimed to attack the Tower of London and the Bank of England and set up a ruling 'Committee of Public Safety' following the French model.
Art and scienceJane Austen publishes Emma.
Leeds and Liverpool Canal completed.
InternationalBritish Government buys the Elgin Marbles, taken from the Acropolis in Athens by Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin, and brought to England between 1803 and 1812. Their acquisition prompts support from Thomas Lawrence and Benjamin Robert Haydon and condemnation from Lord Byron.
Slave rebellion fails in Barbados; four hundred slaves are executed.
- Only Connect - installation video
- Only Connect
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints