3 of 3 portraits of Ralph Thoresby
by William Holl Sr, published by Robinson, Son & Holdsworth, published by J. Hurst, after Unknown artist
stipple engraving, published 1 March 1816
14 7/8 in. x 11 in. (379 mm x 278 mm) plate size; 19 1/4 in. x 13 3/4 in. (490 mm x 350 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Artistsback to top
- William Holl Sr (1771-1838), Engraver. Artist associated with 126 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- J. Hurst (active 1816), Publisher. Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Robinson, Son & Holdsworth (active 1814-1816), Publishers. Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Unknown artist. Artist associated with 6439 portraits.
Placesback to top
Events of 1816back to top
Current affairsMarriage of Princess Charlotte to Leopold I.
Income Tax abolished.
Unsuccessful Spa Fields Riot led by the ultra-radical Arthur Thistlewood which aimed to attack the Tower of London and the Bank of England and set up a ruling 'Committee of Public Safety' following the French model.
Art and scienceJane Austen publishes Emma.
Leeds and Liverpool Canal completed.
InternationalBritish Government buys the Elgin Marbles, taken from the Acropolis in Athens by Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin, and brought to England between 1803 and 1812. Their acquisition prompts support from Thomas Lawrence and Benjamin Robert Haydon and condemnation from Lord Byron.
Slave rebellion fails in Barbados; four hundred slaves are executed.
Exhibitions and displays
- Life, Death and Memory
Until 4 February 2018
- Portrait of the Day: Henry VIII & Katherine of Aragon
17 December, 12:30
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer