1 of 3 portraits of Mark Ridley
after Unknown artist
line engraving, circa 1613 (1594)
5 3/8 in. x 3 3/4 in. (136 mm x 94 mm) paper size
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1613back to top
Current affairsEarl of Suffolk's daughter, Francis Howard marries the king's favourite, Robert Carr, Earl of Somerset. Only months before, courtier Sir Thomas Overbury who opposed the marriage, dies in the Tower; by 1615 the couple are convicted of his murder.
James I's daughter, Princess Elizabeth, marries Frederick V, elector palatine.
Art and scienceOne of the most important dramatists of the age, John Fletcher, collaborates with William Shakespeare on two plays, Henry VIII and The Two Noble Kinsmen.
The Globe Theatre burns down during a performance of William Shakespeare's Henry VIII.
InternationalPhilip III of Spain sends ambassador, Diego Sarmiento de Acuña to England. His post is dominated with the issue concerning a possible marriage alliance between James I's eldest son, Charles, and Philip's second eldest daughter, Maria Anna. The match is much favoured by the James I's Catholic consort, Queen Anne.
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints