by Thomas Hodgetts, published by Colnaghi & Co, published by Francis Cameron & Co, after Andrew Geddes
mezzotint, published 19 April 1820 (exhibited 1818)
19 7/8 in. x 14 in. (506 mm x 356 mm) plate size; 21 7/8 in. x 15 1/8 in. (556 mm x 384 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1959
Artistsback to top
- Francis Cameron & Co (active 1820), Publishers. Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- Colnaghi & Co (active 1809-1835), Publishers. Artist associated with 101 portraits.
- Andrew Geddes (1783-1844), Painter and etcher. Artist associated with 14 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Thomas Hodgetts (circa 1781-1858), Painter and engraver. Artist associated with 76 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (23 Cockspur Street, London; 2 Bank Street, Edinburgh)
Events of 1820back to top
Current affairsGeorge III dies at Windsor Castle on 29 January and George IV ascends to the throne.
'Trial of Queen Caroline' in the House of Lords; Parliament drops the Bill which was to legitimise a divorce between Caroline and George IV.
Cato Street Conspiracy to assassinate the cabinet discovered. Arthur Thistlewood and fellow conspirators are hung.
Art and scienceSir Thomas Lawrence becomes President of the Royal Academy.
Astronomical Society is set up by John Herschel and Charles Babbage.
First iron steamship is launched.
InternationalActor, Edmund Kean goes on a successful tour of America after making his name at the Drury Lane Theatre.
Revolutions begin in Spain, Portugal and Naples.
The famous ancient Greek statue of the Venus de Milo is rediscovered on the Island of Melos and purchased by the Louvre in Paris.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints