Queen Victoria with her family
1 portrait of Princess Helena Augusta Victoria of Schleswig-Holstein
Queen Victoria with her family
after John Jabez Edwin Mayall
albumen carte-de-visite, 1860s
2 1/4 in. x 3 3/8 in. (56 mm x 86 mm) image size
Given by James
Artistback to top
- John Jabez Edwin Mayall (1813-1901), Photographer. Artist associated with 506 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany (1853-1884), Fourth and youngest son of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 60 portraits.
- Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (1819-1861), Prince Consort of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 206 portraits, Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh and Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1844-1900), Naval officer; second son of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 77 portraits.
- Princess Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse (1843-1878), Third child of Queen Victoria; wife of Louis IV, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine. Sitter associated with 109 portraits.
- Prince Arthur, 1st Duke of Connaught and Strathearn (1850-1942), Field Marshal, Governor General of Canada; son of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 156 portraits.
- Princess Beatrice of Battenberg (1857-1944), Fifth and youngest daughter of Queen Victoria; wife of Prince Henry of Battenberg. Sitter in 101 portraits.
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-10. Sitter associated with 503 portraits.
- Princess Helena Augusta Victoria of Schleswig-Holstein (1846-1923), Wife of Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein; third daughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 80 portraits.
- Princess Louise Caroline Alberta, Duchess of Argyll (1848-1939), Artist, sculptor and fourth daughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 94 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 532 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- Victoria, Empress of Germany and Queen of Prussia (1840-1901), Consort of Frederick III, German Emperor, King of Prussia; daughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 124 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Events of 1860back to top
Current affairsAn early feminist movement, The Society for Promoting the Employment of Women is founded by Adelaide Anne Proctor, Emily Faithfull, Helen Blackburn, Bessie Parks, Emily Davies, Barbara Bodichon, and Jessie Boucherett.
The Florence Nightingale Training School for Nurses opens at St Thomas's Hospital, in London, funded from the testimonial fund collected for Nightingale following her war services, and helping to establish nursing as a profession.
Art and scienceWilliam Morris and new wife Jane Burden move into the Red House, near Bexleyheath, Kent. The house, designed by Philip Webb, represents Morris's principle in interior design, that no object should be in a house that is not beautiful.
Ford Madox Brown paints The Last of England, showing a boat of emigrants leaving England under desperate circumstances, inspired by the emigration of the Pre-Raphaelite Thomas Woolner to Australia in 1852.
InternationalItalian unification continues as the Treaty of Turin brings much of Northern Italy under nationalist leader Cavour's control, who cedes Savoy and Nice to France. Garibaldi siezes the opportunity to invade Marsala in Sicily with his army of 1,000 redshirts, proclaiming himself dictator in the name of Victor Emmanuel II.
Republican Abraham Lincoln becomes President of the US, with only 39% of the popular vote.
Exhibitions and displays
- Being Queen Victoria
Until 7 July 2018
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer