Reading the News
5 of 102 portraits matching these criteria:
- set matching 'Political Sketches by H.B. (vol I)'
Reading the News
by John ('HB') Doyle, published by Thomas McLean
lithograph, published 18 July 1829
11 1/4 in. x 16 1/4 in. (286 mm x 412 mm) overall
acquired unknown source, 1900
Sittersback to top
- Henry Conyngham, 1st Marquess Conyngham (1766-1832), Husband of Lady Conyngham, mistress to George IV. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Elizabeth Conyngham (née Denison), Marchioness Conyngham (1769-1861), Mistress of George IV; wife of Henry Conyngham, 1st Marquess of Conyngham. Sitter in 34 portraits. Identify
- King George IV (1762-1830), Regent 1811-19; Reigned 1820-30. Sitter associated with 273 portraits. Identify
- Sir William Knighton, 1st Bt (1776-1836), Courtier and physician. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1769-1852), Field Marshal and Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 640 portraits. Identify
Artistsback to top
Events of 1829back to top
Current affairsMetropolitan police force of over three thousand paid, uniformed, professional policemen founded by Home Secretary Sir Robert Peel.
Roman Catholic Relief Act grants emancipation; Catholics admitted to vote, sit in parliament and hold almost all public offices.
Art and scienceSuccess of George Stephenson's Rocket steam engine at Rainhill Trials.
First London bus service licensed; the new 'box-on-wheels' contributes greatly to the expansion of the suburbs.
Apsley House completed for the Duke of Wellington by Benjamin Wyatt.
First Oxford and Cambridge boat race.
InternationalAndrew Jackson is elected President of the United States.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints