20 of 67 portraits of Mick Jagger
by Gered Mankowitz
bromide print, 1966
14 3/8 in. x 14 1/2 in. (364 mm x 368 mm) image size
Sitterback to top
- Sir Michael Philip ('Mick') Jagger (1943-), Singer and composer; lead vocalist for the Rolling Stones. Sitter in 67 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Gered Mankowitz (1946-), Photographer. Artist or producer associated with 34 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (roof, sitter's home, Harley House, London)
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Mick Jagger: Young in the 60s (3 May 2011 - 27 November 2011)
Events of 1966back to top
Current affairsThe English football team wins against West Germany at the World Cup Final in Wembley.
144 people, including 116 children, die in the Aberfan disaster when a colliery waste tip slides down a mountain in Wales.
Ian Brady and Myra Hindly are sentence to life imprisonment for the brutal Moors Murders.
Art and scienceTom Stoppard's first play Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are Dead premiers. This absurdist play uses two minor characters from Hamlet to explore the existential themes of free will verses determinism and the futility of language.
Seamus Heany publishes his first volume of poems, Death of a Naturalist.
InternationalThe Cultural Revolution is launched in China in order to bring Chinese culture and society in line with communist ideals. It was also, however, an attempt by Mao Zedong to regain control of the country after the mistakes of the Great Leap Forward.
Archbishop of Canterbury, Arthur Michael Ramsey meets Pope Paul VI, the first official meeting between the Roman Catholic and Anglican Churches for 400 years.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Icons and Identities: Shakespeare to Winehouse
Until 17 July
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.