Sir Cloudesley Shovell
Sir Cloudesley Shovell
by John Faber Jr, sold by Thomas Bowles Jr, sold by John Bowles, after Michael Dahl
mezzotint, 1723 (1702)
14 1/8 in. x 10 in. (358 mm x 255 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Artistsback to top
- John Bowles (1701?-1779), Printseller and publisher. Artist associated with 116 portraits.
- Thomas Bowles Jr (1689 or 1690?-1767), Printseller and publisher. Artist associated with 36 portraits.
- Michael Dahl (1659-1743), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 166 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
- John Faber Jr (circa 1695-1756), Engraver and portrait and miniature painter. Artist associated with 816 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (St Pauls Church Yard; over against Stocks Market, London)
Events of 1723back to top
Current affairsExiled Jacobite leader Henry St John, 1st Viscount Bolingbroke is pardoned and allowed to return to London from Paris.
Workhouse Test Act under which poor relief claimants have to enter a workhouse.
Black Act makes poaching a capital offence.
Art and scienceArchitect Christopher Wren dies.
Artist Joshua Reynolds is born in Plympton, Devon.
Portrait-painter Godfrey Kneller dies.
Philosopher Bernard de Mandeville republishes his celebrated Fable of the Bees with new essays on charity and the nature of society. They are vigorously combated and made the subject of prosecution in 1729.
InternationalHoly Roman Emperor, Charles VI, agrees that Hungary shall be ruled as a separate kingdom within his empire.
Treaty of Charlottenburg signed between Britain and Prussia, which arranges for George I's grandson to marry a Prussian princess and Prince Frederick of Prussia to marry the Prince of Wales' daughter. It is never enacted.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.