by John Raphael Smith, after Richard Cosway
mezzotint, published 11 October 1771
15 3/8 in. x 11 1/8 in. (390 mm x 282 mm) plate size; 15 5/8 in. x 11 3/8 in. (396 mm x 288 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1952
Artistsback to top
Events of 1771back to top
Current affairsArtist Benjamin West exhibits his celebrated modern history painting The Death of Wolfe at the Royal Academy, commemorating the death of General James Wolfe at the 1759 Battle of Quebec during the Seven Years' War. The painting creates a sensation and George III commissions a copy.
Reporting of parliamentary debates is permitted.
Art and scienceRichard Arkwright begins to develop cotton mills at Cromford in the Derwent Valley, Derbyshire; one of the earliest factory complexes.
Botanist James Robertson makes the first recorded ascent of Ben Nevis.
Encyclopedia Britannica is completed with 2,931 pages.
First recorded cricket match is played in Horsham, West Sussex.
InternationalFirst voyage of James Cook ends. HMS Endeavour anchors in the port of Deal, Kent following its three-year global circumnavigation.
Spain cedes the Falkland Islands to Britain.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- Only Connect - installation video
- Only Connect
- Late Eighteenth Century Prints and Drawings
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Emma Hamilton
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Maria Cosway
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Ludwig Van Beethoven
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Thomas Jefferson
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Horatio Nelson
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints