by Charles Picart, published by T. Cadell & W. Davies, after John Jackson, after Mary Smirke
stipple engraving, published 2 May 1814 (circa 1810)
14 7/8 in. x 12 7/8 in. (379 mm x 328 mm) plate size; 21 in. x 14 3/4 in. (532 mm x 375 mm) paper size
Given by Ernest E. Leggatt, 1929
Sitterback to top
- Robert Smirke (1753-1845), Painter and illustrator. Sitter in 8 portraits, Artist associated with 23 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- T. Cadell & W. Davies (active 1795-1817), Publishers. Artist associated with 236 portraits.
- John Jackson (1778-1831), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 231 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Charles Picart (circa 1780-circa 1837), Engraver, draughtsman and painter. Artist associated with 119 portraits.
- Mary Smirke (active 1797-1821), Artist. Artist associated with 4 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Events of 1814back to top
Current affairsPrincess Caroline leaves England for a lengthy series of travels in Europe and the Middle East. Scandalous gossip promptly surrounds her relationship with her Italian valet, Count Bartholomew Bergami.
George, Prince Regent, hosts a visit of the victorious allies to England with spectacular celebrations and fireworks at Carlton House.
Art and scienceJohn Soane completes the construction of Dulwich Picture Gallery.
First steam printing machine in the world is used to publish The Times.
New Royal Mint opens at Tower Hill with improved precision machinery.
Grand Western Canal completed from Loudwell to Tiverton.
InternationalParis falls under allied attack; Napoleon sent into exile on Elba.
Force of British veterans lands at Chesapeake Bay, defeats Americans at Bladensburg and burns parts of Washington DC.
Peace treaty signed with Americans in Ghent. General Pakenham is killed leading attack on New Orleans before news of the peace reaches America.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.