Going to a Half Crown-ation
51 of 132 portraits matching these criteria:
- set matching 'Political Sketches by H.B. (vol II)'
Going to a Half Crown-ation
by John ('HB') Doyle, printed by Charles Etienne Pierre Motte, published by Thomas McLean
lithograph, published 7 September 1831
11 1/4 in. x 16 3/8 in. (286 mm x 415 mm) overall
acquired unknown source, 1900
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Queen Adelaide (Princess Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen) (1792-1849), Queen of William IV. Sitter associated with 40 portraits. Identify
- Henry Brougham, 1st Baron Brougham and Vaux (1778-1868), Lord Chancellor. Sitter associated with 280 portraits. Identify
- John George Lambton, 1st Earl of Durham (1792-1840), Governor-General of Canada. Sitter in 60 portraits. Identify
- Louisa Elizabeth (née Grey), Countess of Durham (1797-1841), Second wife of 1st Earl of Durham; daughter of 2nd Earl Grey. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Ernest Augustus, Duke of Cumberland and King of Hanover (1771-1851), Son of George III. Sitter in 85 portraits. Identify
- Lord Augustus Fitzclarence (1805-1854), Rector of Mapledurham and illegitimate son of William IV. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Lord Frederick Fitzclarence (1799-1855), Illegitimate son of William IV. Sitter associated with 5 portraits. Identify
- Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey (1764-1845), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 189 portraits. Identify
- Mary Elizabeth Grey (née Ponsonby), Countess Grey (1776-1861), Wife of Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Charles William Lambton (1818-1831), Eldest son of John George Lambton, 1st Earl of Durham. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- William Lee (active 1831), High Bailiff of Westminster. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- George Augustus Frederick Fitzclarence, 1st Earl of Munster (1794-1842), Major-General and illegitimate son of William IV. Sitter in 10 portraits. Identify
- Prince Augustus Frederick, Duke of Sussex (1773-1843), Son of King George III. Sitter associated with 35 portraits. Identify
- King William IV (1765-1837), Reigned 1830-37. Sitter associated with 174 portraits. Identify
Events of 1831back to top
Current affairsParliamentary Reform Bill is rejected by the House of Lords prompting riots in Nottingham, Derby and Bristol.
Art and scienceMichael Faraday demonstrates electromagnetic induction.
Death of Lady Sarah Ponsonby, last of the famous Ladies of Llangollen who attracted many of the leading names in art and literature to visit them at their home in Plas Newydd, Wales.
Opening of New London Bridge, designed by John Rennie.
InternationalViolinist Niccolo Paganini arrives in England from Italy and embarks on a six month tour of the country after astonishing London audiences with his virtuoso performances.
Revolutionary outbreaks in Modena, Parma and the Papal States influenced by the July Revolution in France the previous year.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints