'The Gift of Tongues'
32 of 32 portraits of John Fane, 10th Earl of Westmorland
'The Gift of Tongues'
by John ('HB') Doyle, published by Thomas McLean
lithograph, published 26 November 1831
16 3/8 in. x 11 1/4 in. (415 mm x 286 mm) overall
acquired unknown source, 1900
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- George Hamilton Gordon, 4th Earl of Aberdeen (1784-1860), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 57 portraits. Identify
- Henry Brougham, 1st Baron Brougham and Vaux (1778-1868), Lord Chancellor. Sitter associated with 280 portraits. Identify
- John Cam Hobhouse, Baron Broughton de Gyfford (1786-1869), Statesman and friend of Byron. Sitter in 31 portraits. Identify
- John Bull (active 1712-present), Fictitious epitomist of Englishness and British imperialism. Sitter associated with 151 portraits. Identify
- Sir Francis Burdett, 5th Bt (1770-1844), Parliamentary reformer. Sitter associated with 135 portraits. Identify
- John Scott, 1st Earl of Eldon (1751-1838), Lord Chancellor. Sitter in 142 portraits. Identify
- Ernest Augustus, Duke of Cumberland and King of Hanover (1771-1851), Son of George III. Sitter in 85 portraits. Identify
- King George IV (1762-1830), Regent 1811-19; Reigned 1820-30. Sitter associated with 273 portraits. Identify
- Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey (1764-1845), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 189 portraits. Identify
- Daniel O'Connell (1775-1847), Irish politician; MP for Dublin City and Cork County. Sitter associated with 230 portraits. Identify
- Sir Robert Peel, 2nd Bt (1788-1850), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 323 portraits. Identify
- John Russell, 1st Earl Russell (1792-1878), Prime Minister and writer. Sitter associated with 249 portraits. Identify
- John Charles Spencer, 3rd Earl Spencer (1782-1845), Whig statesman. Sitter associated with 66 portraits. Identify
- Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1769-1852), Field Marshal and Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 640 portraits. Identify
- John Fane, 10th Earl of Westmorland (1759-1841), Politician; Lord Privy Seal. Sitter associated with 32 portraits. Identify
Events of 1831back to top
Current affairsParliamentary Reform Bill is rejected by the House of Lords prompting riots in Nottingham, Derby and Bristol.
Art and scienceMichael Faraday demonstrates electromagnetic induction.
Death of Lady Sarah Ponsonby, last of the famous Ladies of Llangollen who attracted many of the leading names in art and literature to visit them at their home in Plas Newydd, Wales.
Opening of New London Bridge, designed by John Rennie.
InternationalViolinist Niccolo Paganini arrives in England from Italy and embarks on a six month tour of the country after astonishing London audiences with his virtuoso performances.
Revolutionary outbreaks in Modena, Parma and the Papal States influenced by the July Revolution in France the previous year.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints