Queen Elizabeth I
1 portrait of Isaac Oliver
Queen Elizabeth I
by Simon de Passe, after Isaac Oliver
line engraving, circa 1615-1620
9 1/8 in. x 6 3/4 in. (233 mm x 173 mm) paper size
Given by Peter Hartmann, 1976
Sitterback to top
- Queen Elizabeth I (1533-1603), Reigned 1558-1603. Sitter associated with 135 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1615back to top
Current affairsGeorge Villiers, Duke of Buckingham, is knighted and appointed gentleman of the Bechamber and replaces Robert Carr, Earl of Somerset, as the king's favourite. Buckingham would prosper under the king's patronage, advancing rapidly through the peerage.
The Somersets stand trial for the murder of Sir Thomas Overbury.
Art and scienceJames I produces Remonstrance for the Right of Kings and the Independence of their Crownes, in which he defends European kingship and directly confronts the papacy.
Architect Inigo Jones is appointed Surveyor of the King's Works and would hold the post for 27 years.
InternationalThe Spanish court send official articles to serve as a basis for negotiations concerning a marriage alliance between Charles, Prince of Wales and the Spanish king Philip III's second daughter, Maria Anna.
Marriage of French king Louis XIII and the Spanish Infanta, Anne, Philip III's eldest daughter.
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Tudor Miniatures
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Concealed and Revealed: The Changing Faces of Elizabeth I
- On panel making and the post-1600 Holbein panels
- My Favourite Portrait by Fiona Shaw
- My Favourite Portrait by P.D. James
- Hidden: Unseen Paintings Beneath Tudor Portraits
- Queen Elizabeth I by Nicholas Hilliard
- Tudor pick up guides
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- 2017 Anniversaries