by Joseph Brown, printed by Wilkinson & Dawe, published by R. Ryley, published by James Fraser, published by Sir Francis Graham Moon, 1st Bt, after Frederick Cruickshank
stipple and line engraving, published 1837
13 1/4 in. x 10 1/4 in. (338 mm x 260 mm) plate size; 17 3/8 in. x 12 1/8 in. (442 mm x 307 mm) paper size
Artistsback to top
- Joseph Brown (1809-1887), Engraver. Artist associated with 167 portraits.
- Frederick Cruickshank (1800-1868), Artist. Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- James Fraser (after 1804-1841), Publisher. Artist associated with 48 portraits.
- Sir Francis Graham Moon, 1st Bt (1796-1871), Printseller and publisher. Artist associated with 59 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
- R. Ryley (active 1837-1838), Publisher. Artist associated with 12 portraits.
- Wilkinson & Dawe (active 1837-1838), Printers. Artist associated with 10 portraits.
Placesback to top
Events of 1837back to top
Current affairsThe controversial monarch William IV dies of pneumonia in June leaving no legitimate heirs, and is succeeded to the throne by his niece Victoria, one month after her eighteenth birthday.
The Registration Act of Births, Marriages and Deaths makes it compulsory for all births, marriages and deaths to be registered at a Registry Office.