14 of 21 portraits of Henry Hunt
by John ('HB') Doyle, published by Thomas McLean
lithograph, published 12 December 1831
16 3/8 in. x 11 1/4 in. (415 mm x 286 mm) overall
acquired unknown source, 1900
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Sir Francis Burdett, 5th Bt (1770-1844), Parliamentary reformer. Sitter associated with 135 portraits. Identify
- John Wilson Croker (1780-1857), Essayist and politician, Secretary to the Admiralty and MP for several constituencies. Sitter in 19 portraits. Identify
- Henry Goulburn (1784-1856), Conservative politician; MP for Cambridge University. Sitter associated with 32 portraits. Identify
- Henry Hunt (1773-1835), Radical politician and demagogue; MP for Preston. Sitter associated with 21 portraits. Identify
- Sir Robert Peel, 2nd Bt (1788-1850), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 323 portraits. Identify
- Sir Charles Wetherell (1770-1846), Politician and lawyer. Sitter associated with 36 portraits. Identify
Events of 1831back to top
Current affairsParliamentary Reform Bill is rejected by the House of Lords prompting riots in Nottingham, Derby and Bristol.
Art and scienceMichael Faraday demonstrates electromagnetic induction.
Death of Lady Sarah Ponsonby, last of the famous Ladies of Llangollen who attracted many of the leading names in art and literature to visit them at their home in Plas Newydd, Wales.
Opening of New London Bridge, designed by John Rennie.
InternationalViolinist Niccolo Paganini arrives in England from Italy and embarks on a six month tour of the country after astonishing London audiences with his virtuoso performances.
Revolutionary outbreaks in Modena, Parma and the Papal States influenced by the July Revolution in France the previous year.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.