by John ('HB') Doyle, published by Thomas McLean
lithograph, published 24 December 1831
16 3/8 in. x 11 1/4 in. (415 mm x 286 mm) overall
acquired unknown source, 1900
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Sir Francis Burdett, 5th Bt (1770-1844), Parliamentary reformer. Sitter associated with 123 portraits.
- Charles Manners Sutton, 1st Viscount Canterbury (1780-1845), Speaker of the House of Commons. Sitter associated with 21 portraits.
- John Wilson Croker (1780-1857), Essayist and politician, Secretary to the Admiralty and MP for several constituencies. Sitter in 19 portraits.
- Edward Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby (1799-1869), Prime Minister. Sitter in 105 portraits.
- Sir James Robert George Graham, 2nd Bt (1792-1861), Statesman; First Lord of the Admiralty. Sitter in 57 portraits.
- Sir Robert Peel, 2nd Bt (1788-1850), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 246 portraits.
- John Russell, 1st Earl Russell (1792-1878), Prime Minister and writer. Sitter in 245 portraits.
- Edward Burtenshaw Sugden, 1st Baron St Leonards (1781-1875), Lord Chancellor. Sitter in 15 portraits.
Events of 1831back to top
Current affairsParliamentary Reform Bill is rejected by the House of Lords prompting riots in Nottingham, Derby and Bristol.
Art and scienceMichael Faraday demonstrates electromagnetic induction.
Death of Lady Sarah Ponsonby, last of the famous Ladies of Llangollen who attracted many of the leading names in art and literature to visit them at their home in Plas Newydd, Wales.
Opening of New London Bridge, designed by John Rennie.
InternationalViolinist Niccolo Paganini arrives in England from Italy and embarks on a six month tour of the country after astonishing London audiences with his virtuoso performances.
Revolutionary outbreaks in Modena, Parma and the Papal States influenced by the July Revolution in France the previous year.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Peterloo 1819: Democracy, Protest and Justice
Until 1 March 2020