Royal Wedding Group
Royal Wedding Group
by Ernest Brooks
bromide print, 15 October 1913
8 1/8 in. x 10 in. (205 mm x 253 mm) overall
Given by Terence Pepper, 2011
Sittersback to top
- Lady May Helen Emma Abel Smith (née Cambridge) (1906-1994), Wife of Sir Henry Abel Smith; daughter of 1st Earl of Athlone and Princess Alice of Albany; great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 36 portraits. Identify
- Princess Alexandra, Princess Arthur of Connaught (1891-1959), Wife of Prince Arthur of Connaught; daughter of Princess Louise, Duchess of Fife. Sitter in 28 portraits. Identify
- Prince Arthur of Connaught (1883-1938), Governor-General of South Africa; son of 1st Duke of Connaught and grandson of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 44 portraits. Identify
- (Victoria Constance) Mary (née Cambridge), Duchess of Beaufort (1897-1987), Daughter of 1st Marquess of Cambridge; wife of 10th Duke of Beaufort. Sitter in 21 portraits. Identify
- Lady Helena Frances Augusta Gibbs (née Princess of Teck) (1899-1969), Wife of John Evelyn Gibbs; daughter of 1st Marquess of Cambridge. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood (1897-1965), Princess Royal; daughter of George V. Sitter in 298 portraits. Identify
- Princess Maud, Countess of Southesk (1893-1945), Wife of 11th Earl of Southesk; daughter of Princess Louise, Duchess of Fife. Sitter associated with 43 portraits. Identify
Portrait setback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1913back to top
Current affairsThe Suffragette, Emily Davison dies after stepping out in front of the King's horse as a protest at the Epsom Derby. In the same year the Liberal government passed the Cat and Mouse Act allowing them to release and re-arrest Suffragettes who went on hunger strike while in prison. Davidson, herself, had been on hunger strike and was force-fed while detained at Holloway Prison.
Art and scienceStravinsky's ballet The Rite of Spring comes to London following its premier at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées in Paris. Audiences were shocked by Stravinsky's rhythmic and dissonant musical score and by the violent jerky dancing of Sergei Diaghilev's Ballets Russes, which were intended to represent pagan ritual.
InternationalHenry Ford introduces the assembly line at the Ford Motor Company, rapidly increasing the rate at which the famous Model T could be manufactured, leading to massive growth in the motorcar industry and demonstrating to other industries the efficiency of mass production.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints