Queen Victoria's Funeral Cortège
Queen Victoria's Funeral Cortège
by James Russell & Sons
bromide print, 4 February 1901
11 1/8 in. x 8 1/2 in. (284 mm x 215 mm) overall
Given by Miss E. Dutton, 1973
Artistback to top
- James Russell & Sons (active 1850s-1940s), Photographers. Artist associated with 692 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Princess Helen, Duchess of Albany (1861-1922), Wife of Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany; daughter of Prince George Victor of Waldeck-Pyrmont. Sitter in 23 portraits.
- Queen Alexandra (1844-1925), Queen of Edward VII. Sitter associated with 478 portraits, Artist associated with 10 portraits.
- Prince Arthur, 1st Duke of Connaught and Strathearn (1850-1942), Field Marshal, Governor General of Canada; son of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 159 portraits.
- Prince Arthur of Connaught (1883-1938), Governor-General of South Africa; son of 1st Duke of Connaught and grandson of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 44 portraits.
- Princess Beatrice of Battenberg (1857-1944), Fifth and youngest daughter of Queen Victoria; wife of Prince Henry of Battenberg. Sitter associated with 102 portraits.
- King Carlos I of Portugal (1863-1908), Reigned 1889-1908; son of King Louis and Maria Pia. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Prince Charles Edward, 2nd Duke of Albany and Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1884-1954), Son of Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany. Sitter in 8 portraits.
- Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein (1831-1917), Husband of Princess Helena. Sitter in 30 portraits.
- Princess Louise, Duchess of Connaught (née Princess of Prussia) (1860-1917), Daughter of Prince Frederick of Prussia; wife of Arthur, Duke of Connaught. Sitter in 36 portraits.
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-10. Sitter associated with 505 portraits.
- Ernest Ludwig, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine (1868-1937), Eldest son of Princess Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Princess Helena Augusta Victoria of Schleswig-Holstein (1846-1923), Wife of Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein; third daughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 81 portraits.
- Leopold II, King of the Belgians (1835-1909), Reigned 1865-1909. Sitter in 13 portraits.
- Princess Louise Caroline Alberta, Duchess of Argyll (1848-1939), Artist, sculptor and fourth daughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 94 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- Princess Louise, Duchess of Fife (1867-1931), Princess Royal; wife of 6th Earl of Fife, later Duke of Fife; daughter of King Edward VII. Sitter in 93 portraits.
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 546 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- Princess Victoria of Wales (1868-1935), Fourth child of King Edward VII. Sitter associated with 110 portraits.
- Wilhelm II, Emperor of Germany and King of Prussia (1859-1941), Reigned 1888-1918. Sitter in 47 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1901back to top
Current affairsQueen Victoria dies on 23 January. She is succeeded to the throne by her son, Prince Edward, aged 60, who reigned until his death in 1910. The census results of this year show the huge changes that took place in Britain during her reign, revealing that the population of Britain had doubled in the past 50 years, to 38 million.
Art and scienceThe start of Pablo Picasso's Blue Period, in which he produces a series of paintings dominated by the colour blue and melancholic mood. Significantly, the period marks the transition in Picasso's style from classicism to abstract art.
Beatrix Potter privately publishes The Tale of Peter Rabbit after it is rejected by six publishers.
InternationalThe six colonies of Australia become a federation, forming the Commonwealth of Australia. Australia remains a Commonwealth Realm. This year Australia also passes the Immigration Restriction Act, which limits immigration to Australia and forms the basis of the White Australia policy, a collection of historical legislation and policies designed to restrict non-white immigration to Australia between 1830-1973, although reforms against the policy were introduced in the 1940s.
- Alexandra of Denmark
- Queen Victoria Trail
- The World's Most Photographed
- Prince Albert Trail
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Lives and Letters
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints