March of Reform
5 of 5 portraits of John Gully
March of Reform
by John ('HB') Doyle, printed by Alfred Ducôte, published by Thomas McLean
lithograph, published 28 March 1833
11 1/4 in. x 16 3/8 in. (286 mm x 415 mm) overall
acquired unknown source, 1900
Artistsback to top
- John ('HB') Doyle (1797-1868), 'HB'; caricaturist. Artist associated with 746 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Alfred Ducôte (active 1830-1840), Lithographer and lithographic printer. Artist associated with 462 portraits.
- Thomas McLean (1788-1875), Publisher and dealer. Artist associated with 1054 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- William Cobbett (1763-1835), Journalist, agriculturalist and politician; MP for Oldham. Sitter associated with 57 portraits. Identify
- John Wilson Croker (1780-1857), Essayist and politician, Secretary to the Admiralty and MP for several constituencies. Sitter in 19 portraits. Identify
- John Gully (1783-1863), Prizefighter and racehorse owner. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Joseph Pease (1799-1872), Quaker railway company promoter and industrialist. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Edward Burtenshaw Sugden, 1st Baron St Leonards (1781-1875), Lord Chancellor. Sitter associated with 20 portraits. Identify
- Horace Twiss (1787-1849), Lawyer and Politician. Sitter associated with 12 portraits. Identify
- Sir Charles Wetherell (1770-1846), Politician and lawyer. Sitter associated with 36 portraits. Identify
- Francis Williams (active 1830-1833), House of Commons official. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
Events of 1833back to top
Current affairsShaftesbury's Factory Act is passed regulating women's hours and providing for the education of children working in the textile industry.
Bank Act is passed, making Bank of England notes Britain's legal tender.
Art and scienceCharles Lamb publishes Last Essays of Elia after the enormous success of his earlier Essays. A comic allegorization of his humdrum clerical job they become one of the period's literary sensations.
Charles Dickens begins his series Sketches by Boz in the Monthly Magazine.