An Interesting Group
© National Portrait Gallery, London
An Interesting Group
by John ('HB') Doyle, printed by Alfred Ducôte, published by Thomas McLean
lithograph, published 18 September 1833
11 1/4 in. x 16 3/8 in. (286 mm x 415 mm) overall
acquired unknown source, 1900
Sittersback to top
- Joao José Xavier, Conde de Carvalhal ('Count di Funchal') (1778-1837), Portuguese nobleman; supporter of Maria II of Portugal. Sitter associated with 2 portraits. Identify
- Maria II, Queen of Portugal (1819-1853), Reigned 1826-28 and 1834-53. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- King William IV (1765-1837), Reigned 1830-37. Sitter associated with 174 portraits. Identify
Artistsback to top
- John ('HB') Doyle (1797-1868), 'HB'; caricaturist. Artist or producer associated with 746 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Alfred Ducôte (active 1830-1840), Lithographer and lithographic printer. Artist or producer associated with 462 portraits.
- Thomas McLean (1788-1875), Publisher and dealer. Artist or producer associated with 1057 portraits.
Events of 1833back to top
Current affairsShaftesbury's Factory Act is passed regulating women's hours and providing for the education of children working in the textile industry.
Bank Act is passed, making Bank of England notes Britain's legal tender.
Art and scienceCharles Lamb publishes Last Essays of Elia after the enormous success of his earlier Essays. A comic allegorization of his humdrum clerical job they become one of the period's literary sensations.
Charles Dickens begins his series Sketches by Boz in the Monthly Magazine.
InternationalAbolition of slavery in the British Empire; 780,000 slaves are freed, £20 million is allocated as compensation for slave owners and a six year apprenticeship system for freed slaves is established.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.