Key to Private View of the Old Masters Exhibition, Royal Academy, 1888
1 portrait of Mervyn Wingfield, 7th Viscount Powerscourt
Key to Private View of the Old Masters Exhibition, Royal Academy, 1888
after Henry Jamyn Brooks
photograph, 1919 or after
17 3/8 in. x 28 7/8 in. (440 mm x 733 mm) frame size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Henry Jamyn Brooks (1839-1925), Painter. Artist associated with 4 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Sir William Agnew, 1st Bt (1825-1910), Art dealer. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Henrietta Blanche (née Stanley), Countess of Airlie (1830-1921), Wife of 5th Earl of Airlie; daughter of 2nd Baron Stanley of Alderley. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Laura Theresa (née Epps), Lady Alma-Tadema (1852-1909), Painter; second wife of Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema; daughter of George Napoleon Epps. Sitter in 4 portraits, Artist of 2 portraits.
- Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema (1836-1912), Painter. Sitter in 40 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- Victoria Marjorie Harriet Paget (née Manners), Marchioness of Anglesey (1883-1946), Writer and artist; wife of 6th Marquess of Anglesey; daughter of 8th Duke of Rutland. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Sir Joseph Edgar Boehm, 1st Bt (1834-1890), Sculptor. Sitter in 16 portraits, Artist associated with 33 portraits.
- Henry Jamyn Brooks (1839-1925), Painter. Sitter in 2 portraits, Artist associated with 4 portraits.
- Michael Arthur Bass, 1st Baron Burton (1837-1909), Brewer, philanthropist, art collector and politician; Liberal MP for Stafford. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Sir Frederic William Burton (1816-1900), Watercolour painter and Director of the National Gallery. Sitter in 6 portraits, Artist associated with 11 portraits.
- Charles Butler (1821-1910), Justice of the Peace and Deputy Lieutenant of Hertfordshire. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Philip Hermogenes Calderon (1833-1898), Historical and genre painter. Sitter in 12 portraits, Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- John Stuart Bligh, 6th Earl of Darnley (1827-1896). Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Alfred Charles de Rothschild (1842-1918), Banker; Director of the Bank of England; Trustee of the National Gallery and the Wallace Collection; son of Lionel Nathan de Rothschild, Baron de Rothschild. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Ferdinand James Anselm de Rothschild, Baron de Rothschild (1839-1898), Art collector and politician; MP for Aylesbury. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Henry Edward Doyle (1827-1892), Director of the National Gallery of Ireland. Sitter in 2 portraits, Artist associated with 4 portraits.
- Sir Frederick Alexis Eaton (1838-1913), Secretary of the Royal Academy, editor and writer. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Ayscough Fawkes (1831-1899). Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Charles Drury Edward Fortnum (1820-1899), Art collector. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Frederic Leighton, Baron Leighton (1830-1896), Painter; President of the Royal Academy. Sitter in 59 portraits, Artist associated with 7 portraits.
- William Powell Frith (1819-1909), Painter. Sitter in 25 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- William Ewart Gladstone (1809-1898), Prime Minister and writer. Sitter associated with 315 portraits.
- Charles Henry Mills, 1st Baron Hillingdon (1830-1898), Banker. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- John Evan Hodgson (1831-1895), Genre painter. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Francis Montague ('Frank') Holl (1845-1888), Painter; son of Francis Holl. Sitter in 5 portraits, Artist associated with 18 portraits.
- John Callcott Horsley (1817-1903), Painter and Royal Academician. Sitter in 11 portraits, Artist associated with 10 portraits.
- William Holman Hunt (1827-1910), Pre-Raphaelite painter. Sitter in 28 portraits, Artist of 2 portraits.
- Victor Albert George Child-Villiers, 7th Earl of Jersey (1845-1915), Colonial governor. Sitter in 11 portraits.
- Margaret Elizabeth Child-Villiers (née Leigh), Countess of Jersey (1849-1945), Political hostess, philanthropist and children's writer; wife of 7th Earl of Jersey; daughter of 2nd Baron Leigh. Sitter in 8 portraits.
- Sir John Everett Millais, 1st Bt (1829-1896), Painter and President of the Royal Academy. Sitter in 74 portraits, Artist associated with 41 portraits.
- Mary Millais (1860-1944), Second daughter of Sir John Everett Millais. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Edward Philip Monckton (1840-1912). Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Alfred Morrison (1821-1897), Collector. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Lady Dorothy Fanny Nevill (née Walpole) (1826-1913), Hostess and horticulturalist; wife of Reginald Henry Nevill; daughter of 3rd Earl of Orford. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- James Charles Herbert Welbore Ellis Agar, 3rd Earl of Normanton (1818-1896), Conservative politician; MP for Wilton. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Sir William Quiller Orchardson (1832-1910), Portrait and subject painter. Sitter associated with 19 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- Margaret Emma Alice ('Margot') Asquith (née Tennant), Countess of Oxford and Asquith (1864-1945), Society hostess; second wife of 1st Earl of Oxford and Asquith; daughter of Sir Charles Tennant, 1st Bt. Sitter in 51 portraits.
- Sir John Pender (1815-1896), Pioneer of submarine telegraphy. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Mervyn Wingfield, 7th Viscount Powerscourt (1836-1904), Collector. Sitter in 10 portraits.
- Sir Edward John Poynter, 1st Bt (1836-1919), Painter and President of the Royal Academy. Sitter associated with 28 portraits, Artist associated with 4 portraits.
- George Richmond (1809-1896), Portrait painter and draughtsman; son of Thomas Richmond. Sitter in 14 portraits, Artist associated with 325 portraits.
- Sir John Charles Robinson (1824-1913), Etcher, museum curator, Art collector and connoisseur. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- John Ruskin (1819-1900), Writer, artist and social reformer. Sitter associated with 80 portraits.
- (Marion Margaret) Violet Manners (née Lindsay), Duchess of Rutland (1856-1937), Artist; wife of 8th Duke of Rutland. Sitter in 12 portraits, Artist associated with 70 portraits.
- Sir George Scharf (1820-1895), Artist and art historian; first Director of the National Portrait Gallery. Sitter in 79 portraits, Artist associated with 80 portraits.
- Sir Philip Burne-Jones, 2nd Bt (1861-1926), Painter. Sitter in 15 portraits, Artist of 3 portraits.
- John Poyntz Spencer, 5th Earl Spencer (1835-1910), Politician, Lord President of the Council and Lord Lieutenant of Ireland. Sitter in 37 portraits.
- Charlotte Frances Frederica Spencer (née Seymour), Countess Spencer (1835-1903), Wife of 5th Earl Spencer; daughter of Frederick Charles William Seymour. Sitter in 11 portraits.
- Marcus Clayton Stone (1840-1921), Genre painter and illustrator; son of Frank Stone. Sitter in 16 portraits.
- Alice Joanna Street (née Wells) (active circa 1857-circa 1891), Daughter of Henry Tanworth Wells. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Sir Charles Clow Tennant, 1st Bt (1823-1906), Scottish businessman, industrialist, Liberal politician and patron of art. MP for Glasgow and Peebles and Selkirk. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Sir Richard Wallace, 1st Bt (1818-1890), Art collector, connoisseur and philanthropist. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Robert James Loyd-Lindsay, Baron Wantage (1832-1901), Soldier; recipient of the Victoria Cross, benefactor and politician. Sitter in 12 portraits.
- Harriet Sarah (née Loyd), Lady Wantage (1837-1920), Benefactor; wife of Baron Wantage; daughter of Baron Overstone. Sitter associated with 8 portraits.
- Humphry Ward (1845-1926), Journalist and writer. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- George Frederic Watts (1817-1904), Painter and sculptor. Sitter in 43 portraits, Artist associated with 91 portraits.
- Henry Tanworth Wells (1828-1903), Miniature and portrait painter. Sitter in 8 portraits, Artist associated with 107 portraits.
- Edward Montagu Stuart Granville Montagu-Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie, 1st Earl of Wharncliffe (1827-1899), Railway executive, landowner and art collector. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Susan Charlotte (née Lascelles), Countess of Wharncliffe (1834-1927), Wife of 1st Earl of Wharncliffe; daughter of 3rd Earl of Harewood. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Sir Herbert Lloyd Watkin Williams-Wynn, 7th Bt (1860-1944), Landowner and politician: MP for Denbighshire. Sitter in 3 portraits.
Related worksback to top
- NPG 1833: Private View of the Old Masters Exhibition, Royal Academy, 1888 (after)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1919back to top
Current affairsSir John William Alcock and Lieutenant Arthur Whitten Brown pilot the first successful non-stop transatlantic flight from Newfoundland to Ireland, flying 1980 miles in their modified Vickers Vimy bomber plane in just over 16 hours. Their achievement won them a £10,000 prize from the Daily Mail newspaper.
Art and scienceJohn Maynard Keynes publishes The Economic Consequences of the Peace, an influential economic text that criticised the harsh economic treatment of Germany at the Treaty of Versailles and predicted the destabilising effects of the vindictive settlement.
InternationalThe Paris Peace Conference negotiates the peace treaties between the victorious and defeated powers. The Conference culminated in a number of treaties including the Treaty of Versailles, which granted independence for the countries under Austrian and Russian rule and forced Germany to accept responsibility for the war and pay reparations. It also established the League of Nations.
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- Victorian Photographs by Elliott and Fry
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- G.F Watts - Selected Letters
- WebQuest: Votes For Women
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Later Victorian Portraits Catalogue
- Frederic Leighton
- Only Connect - Frederic Leighton <> Joseph Joachim
- Party Trail
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Collected Archives - N-S
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Sir George Scharf
- Gallery history
- Photographic holdings - Albums 76-162
- G.F. Watts Portraits: Fame & Beauty in Victorian Society
- Collected Archives - T-Z
- The Watts Collection
- Watts handlist
- Room 26: Portraits by G.F. Watts
- Room 26: G.F. Watts Bicentenary
- Julia Margaret Cameron:
'Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens'
- Portrait of the Day: Julie Margaret Cameron
15 December, 12:30
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer